Monday, December 2, 2013

"Where I live, it's my home."

FAVORITE PLACE

Imagine having lived in ten different countries, ranging from the UK to India, and only being 24 years old.  As the conversation with Ravi Bhatt progressed it became clear that he has a fresh perspective on life built by his curiosity and acceptance of people who are different than he is.  He appreciates something from every culture he has experienced, and that became clear when he stated, “In the morning, London. In the noon it’s Bombay; it’s so cool, you have proper humidity and proper climate. Evenings it’s Australia, especially in Sydney. You go out fishing or go to the beach and appreciate the Australian girls,” he chuckles. “In the evening Moscow; late night Moscow, because it doesn’t sleep. New York doesn't sleep either, but its different, the club life and party life, it’s [intense] in Eastern Europe,” In response to being asked where his favorite place is. The idea that every place has something to offer is an overlying theme throughout his life.


Evening in Sydney
Morning in London
IDEALS

Traveling has made Bhatt a very adaptable and accepting person. He asserts, “Traveling makes you more practical, sociable and more open to everything.”  However he made it clear that adapting to culture in no way means changing one’s beliefs or personality, he says, “You try to train yourself, you try adapting yourself in such a way that no matter where you go or who you are you will get accepted by everyone and anyone.” Bhatt still realizes, however that he, “was born in a certain way that cannot change.”  Realizing his own identity while still embracing every culture he has lived in has allowed him to have confidence in who he is and what he believes. Bhatt also enjoys the differences among people. When talking about the fact that he speaks with an accent he says, “it’s a unique way of showing yourself out of a crowd.” Bhatt’s open- minded ideals affect every aspect of his life from his religion to how he interacts with people and enables him to see the world from a more objective point of view.


RELIGIOUS BELIEFS

Bhatt practices Hinduism(1) and Buddhism(2), the religions he was raised with. Bhatt is able to find a balance between remaining true to his religious beliefs and the modern world by focusing on the core values in his religion. “I was raised in a very religious family,” he said. “I’m modern but at the same time I’m religious. I prefer wearing Nike and fancy stuff, but on the inside I’m a religious person.” He considers religion as something that is within oneself. “It’s just my own meditation, yoga and other things that keeps you from the inside,” he says. “The belief in something that says no other religion is below or above yourself or your religion everyone is equal. Equality should prevail. Everyone is equal.”  Through traveling across the world, Bhatt has been exposed to many religions. He has attended a variety of churches and religious gatherings, and from these experiences he gained an open outlook on spirituality. “I consider god as just one person, one spirit, or one being and we all pray in different forms,” he said. “Lets say if you go from one place to another. You might prefer Carola, you might prefer Audi, she might prefer BMW so its different religion. I’m not saying religion is like cars, but I’m saying they take different modes to get to the same place.”



AMERICAN DREAM

Growing up with American influences surrounding Bhatt, including Bay Watch and McDonald’s, the idea of the United States seemed flashy and enticing. The idea of owning something that came from the U.S. held a unique appeal to Bhatt. It gave him a piece of the mysteriously, glamorous country across the world. “I got my first New York jacket when I was around like 14 years old,” he said. “At that time I didn't know there was anything like the New York Yankees, but I had that jacket. I always had a lot of American things because my aunt sent me many things made in America, like things that people don't buy. Like Wal-Mart. Why would they when they have nice things? They would rather buy that than Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is unique. I walk around saying I got things from Walmart and they are like what the fuck is Wal-Mart. Not everyone knows what Wal-Mart is.”

In 2010, Bhatt arrived in America, and the tantalizing image of the U.S. was turned into reality. He was greeted by family and initial excitement, followed by a realization that the main difference between the U.S. and other countries is the view on life. “At first it was like wow there are so many things to discover, but it's the same thing just a different living style and a different way at approaching life,” he said. “There is different things and different people here. It's a culture shock.” After living in the U.S. for three years, Bhatt is able to see the the true definition of the American Dream. One of Bhatt’s favorite things about being American is, “You can say you are American and nobody can reject it,” he said. “Because it’s not based on certain past, creed, race, or color. Anyone can be American.” Of course, along with the positives of living in America, comes with some difficulties. Although, with Bhatt’s experience with life in a variety of countries, he considers life in America balanced between the positives and negatives. “I have lived in so many places and this is by far not one of the toughest, but not one of the easiest,” he said. “If you live in Europe it changes, it changes so drastically. If you live in Italy it’s different than England or Romania. It’s different in Russia. But you know over here it’s sort of easier, but at the same time full of challenges.”


DIFFERENCES

We asked Bhatt not just about his experiences in life, but about the differences he has seen in the different places he lived. He explained “ I love noticing differences, or talking to different people, so I understand what the essence of [their] culture is.” Bhatt does not always view differences as a good thing, he confessed to us that “cheating is worse over here.” He has seen and heard about “people cheating each other a lot, like [the] divorce rates. I mean, I’m so scared to date an American girl. It doesn’t matter if she is from my same culture.” He continued, “I’m not saying certain color--white, black, Asian, anyone,--if she is born in America I would think a hundred times before dating her.” He said it was because he does not know “how many guys they are dating. Or, if I were a girl, I wouldn't trust a guy because I don’t know how many girls he is dating.” He revealed to us that “it’s scary, you know. It’s personal opinion.” 

Bhatt is open to sharing his story, because “people love to know where you have lived or where you have been. Overseas people travel a lot, but over here people spend their entire lives in one town. It’s fun though, to move from one place to the other, it’s cool. If you live in one place, and just spend your whole life in one place, then you know you don't experience anything else. What if you miss something? I think I’ve even missed some parts.”

One Bhatt’s favorite things about American culture is the diversity. He especially  was able to see this while he was living on the east coast. “[In] the Tri State area; one neighbor is from India, another is from Sri Lanka, another is Czech Republic, [some] people from Israel. It was great, it was fun talking to different people, [experiencing] different culture, different food. Yeah, I like the diversity. I get bored with the same thing.” Bhatt thrives in diversity and takes pride in differences. “Everyone is different. Everyone is different, and, if nobody accepts anyone, then who’s going to accept each other.” After recollecting, he stated “I’ve seen certain group of people who don't accept change that easily.”


HOME

“Where I live, it’s my home. I have lots of homes. Wherever I live its my home.” This quote summarizes Bhatt’s outlook on life and our interview with him. He doesn’t limit himself to belonging to one country based on how long he lived there or where his family originated from. Instead, he chooses Earth to be his home, including every part of it. “I cannot promise to any part of the world that I will be at the same spot long. As I told you; I get bored with the same place, the same people.” Bhatt’s perspective was a refreshing and delightful experience throughout the interview; it showed the wonderful insight and the positive experiences one can gain living all over the world.

FOOTNOTES
(1) Hinduism, major world religion originating on the Indian subcontinent and comprising several and varied systems of philosophy, belief, and ritual. Hinduism refers to a rich cumulative tradition of texts and practices, some of which date to the 2nd millennium bce or possibly earlier.
(2) Buddhism is a religion indigenous to the Indian subcontinent that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices largely based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama, who is commonly known as the Buddha, meaning "the awakened one". The Buddha lived and taught in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE.

REFERENCES
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/155822/z_745b9d24.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/266312/Hinduism
http://www.taxbuddha.com/image/buddha2.jpg

STORY FACILITATORS:
Maegan Melby, Alison Brisk, and Stephanie Perez-Pria

6 comments:

  1. I find it particularly interesting that your interviewee had said that the idea of America was "flashy and enticing" because I have read many other stories, including my own, in which the subject was either not excited about coming to the United States or had heard horror stories about our country instead of something about our country being "glamorous". This just proves how the perception of our country is very different to different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found his connections to America very interesting from his New York Yankees jacket to Bay Watch and McDonalds. Even though he didn't know who the Yankees were he still had a jacket. I feel like there are many influences that the United States has on people from other countries and his talk about the Yankees and McDonalds are some of those. His perception of the United States was shaped by these things and made him see the US as "flashy and enticing". So the main thing that raises a challenge for me is how he thought the US was flashing and enticing because of the Yankees and McDonalds, where as if he would of heard of a different sports franchise or restaurant he may have had a different perception of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am surprised at the positive attitude that he has! I don't mean it in a bad way, but a really good way. It's amazing that he has such an optimistic and open minded perspective on things. I don't really consider myself as a really religious person and I actually question religion quite a bit because I'm not sure which religion to believe in. I definitely agree with his opinion on religion though. I love the metaphor of the cars. Especially that there are just different "modes" to get there. I hope that he'll get to travel to many more places in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found his comments about living in the same city very interesting. I would have to agree with Bhatt that living in the same town for your whole life becomes boring! I think Bhatt's many travels have allowed him to get a really good understanding of different cultures and I admire his genuine desire to learn about new cultures. I think this interview really brings into the immigration conversation the successes and benefits of living in other countries and fully immersing your self into a culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found how his comments about diversity in America were interesting because it shows how the U.S. as a country is willing to accept anyone and embrace all different types of ethnicities to live together. A big part that i thought was important was how he liked to wear his Yankee and Nike jackets even though he didnt really know what they were, he just knew they were flashy and that that is what is "cool" to Americans. It shows the influence of our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very interesting interview that I enjoyed reading. I particularly appreciated the positive attitude that Bhatt maintained throughout the narrative. Bhatt seems to jump to an early conclusion about the country being flashy and enticing because of two unrepresentative things in our country. That is really the only spot where I question Bhatt, and overall I enjoyed learning about this interesting narrative.

    ReplyDelete